Wednesday, 1 April 2009

Tour pt3: Tongariro National Park

Day 5 of the Active Earth tour: Trekked across alpine grasslands to a remote camp in volcanic Tongariro National Park. 1.5 hours hiking. Beautiful desolate scenery with purple heather (introduced by one of the first park rangers as the landscape reminded him of Scotland), which is invasive.




Alpine plants. I could've spent hours photographing them.



We set up camp in this valley (right), one dome tent and a large rain fly, and spent the evening singing songs around the camp fire with the help of a box of wine. Great night and very funny!



Day 6: 4 hours hiking to Oturere through an extraordinary landscape of active volcanoes and turqoise lakes. But first, a quick 3 hour joint to Upper Tama Lake and back.

A deliciously chilly morning at camp! Mt. Ngauruhoe in the background.


The walk to Upper Tama Lake. There was a cold, brisk wind, hence the ninja look. I must explain the hat. I didn't have one so had to choose one from Kath's spares - more like a fancy dress shop - this was the only one that fit well!


Mt. Ruapehu in the background (right)


Upper Tama Lake, an old explosion crater.


The valley where we camped. You should just be able to see the orange rain fly about mid-picture. And my lucky heather.


Sunset at Oturere Hut.

1 comment:

Frenchie said...

hummmm this ninja look reminds me of something....ho yes! maybe the day I went up there!! haha! thought I didn't have such a cool hat!
isn't it wonderful all these volcanos and grey rivers with red rocks?! ho man!
well, you made me so jealous, I booked a week in the alps for may!!Mt Blanc here I come!